I started this blog before Irene was an issue here in New England, after a friend who is pregnant with her second child asked me for some ideas for stocking her freezer before the new baby arrives. So if you want to stock your freezer, now that it may be empty or unfortunately the food is spoiled because you don't have power, here are some ideas of easy meals to restock!
(1) Enchiladas - http://mammascooking.blogspot.com/2009/06/summertime.html (just leave out the meat if vegetarian)
(2) Mac – n-cheese - http://mammascooking.blogspot.com/search/label/mac-n-cheese
(3) Lasagna - http://mammascooking.blogspot.com/2008/08/comedian.html (I have more lasagne recipes in my head, that I haven't written down yet, so if you have any questions, let me know). Here is one from a Year of slow cooking too that sounds good.
(4) Chili - http://mammascooking.blogspot.com/search/label/chili (leave out turkey if vegetarian)
(5) Rice casseroles – look at allrecipes.com and Year of Slow Cooking blog. They both have good suggestions. I recently made a good turkey curry rice casserole. Brown some ground turkey (can use chicken, pork or beef). Season with onion powder, thyme, garlic powder, coriander, curry powder and sweeten with some apricot jam.
Cook your brown rice however you like. I use my rice cooker. Add to cooked meat. Then add a couple of handfuls of frozen peas and cover on low for about 10 minutes. Serve or freeze!
(6) Soups! Butternut squash soup, Black Bean Soup (from Year of Slow Cooking), or whatever you like to make.
(7) Stock up at Trader Joe’s or your local grocery store! Buy the frozen rice, raviolis, sweet potato fries, soycatash and your other favorites!
We have been eating down our fridge/freezer for the past few days in anticipation that we might lose power. Yummy egg hash this morning with the 4 eggs we had left, 2 slices of bacon, one baked potato diced, couple of tablespoons of sour cream, about 1/4 cup of milk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and a handful of shredded cheddar. Whisk eggs, sour cream, milk and spices together while you microwave the potato and saute bacon in skillet. Dice potato when cooked and add to bacon, then toss cheese into egg mixture and add to skillet. Mix until eggs cooked through. Serve with vanilla and berries smoothie. I am trying to use up the yogurt we have left and frozen berries in the freezer, add some milk and blend! So good.
Hopefully we can hold on to power until after lunch or it will be ice cream for lunch! I'm sure Karina won't mind :)
Labels: eggs, freezer meals, smoothie