Fresh ricotta


I know...many of you will say its too much work to make fresh ricotta, but it is well worth it. It only takes about 25 minutes (10 active minutes basically watching to make sure the milk doesn't boil over). The time is well worth it. I don't think I'll ever buy ricotta in the store again. It is so creamy and delicious when you make it fresh. Here is the recipe I used: http://www.recipegirl.com/2007/05/17/fresh-ricotta-cheese/

I have made it a couple of times now and found many different uses.

 Spread it on a sandwich. Here it is with some leftover steak, tomatoes, lettuce and balsamic reduction.

 I was visiting my parents the first time I made it and used some of the other fresh ingredients from their yard, including eggplant, fresh basil and tomatoes from their garden.

  
I made eggplant 2 ways...I sliced the eggplant thin and rolled with a mixture of ricotta, fresh basil and one egg. The remained of the eggplant I chopped with a small onion and a couple of fresh tomatoes, salt and pepper and sauteed in olive oil. Once that mixture was basically cooked, I placed the rolled eggplant pieces on top and then put it all in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Served it over rice. So good!

Here is another ricotta sandwich with leftover pork, tomatoes, avocado and sweet Vidalia onion dressing.
 Ricotta on toast with some melon. Hopefully I don't have listeria!

 Ricotta on Wasa crisps with diced tomatoes with salt and pepper.

Lastly, a traditional use...in lasagne...Fresh ricotta is so creamy and delicious., it really makes a big difference, so go for it! Try it! You will not be sorry.